A lifelong resident of St. Albert, Cathy's passion for our community spans decades of service and involvement in St. Albert. Cathy grew up in Braeside, and she currently lives in Oakmont with her 3 children.
After graduating from Paul Kane high school, Cathy receive a Bachelors of Science degree in Microbiology from the UofA and a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology from NAIT. She was in the process of achieving her Bachelors of Education degree from the UofA when she decided instead to change directions and run for council in St. Albert.
Cathy's participation in municipal government began over a decade ago, when she served on the Community Services Advisory Board (CSAB). She served 5 years on that committee, including 2 years as the chairperson.
Following CSAB, Cathy ran for council in 2010, happily earning the highest number of votes of any council candidate in that election. She won re-election in 2013, again with the most votes of any candidate.
During her tenure on council Cathy has earned a reputation for extreme hard work, giving 120% to the job and outcome. Always the first to put her hand up, her council appointed committees include.
- Community Engagement Committee
- Smart City Task Force
- Two years as chair of the Standing Committee on Finance
- Served on the Environmental Advisory Committee
- Alberta Capital Region Waste Water Commission
- Capital Region Board Affordable Housing Committee
- Capital Region Board Governance Committee
- Alberta Capital Region Waste Minimization Committee
- Sturgeon River Watershed Alliance
- St. Albert Social Master Plan Task Force
- Regional Transit Task Force
Cathy has thrown herself deeply into the role of leader and spokesperson for St. Albert. She represents St. Albert on regional committees including:
- Elected to the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) Board of Directors as Director Cities up to 500,000
- Capital Region Board Growth Plan Update Task Force
- Alberta Recycling Management Authority Board
- Capital Region Board Affordable Futures Task Force
- Alberta Municipal Services Corporation
- AUMA Environment Sustainability Committee
- Chairperson of AUMA Elected Officials Education Program
Cathy has become a huge spokesperson for St. Albert, both in the region and province. Thanks to Cathy's hard work, St. Albert has also been given notice nationally and internationally. Her expertise in SmartCities has resulted in recognition from the Canadian Parliament, the United States, Europe, and Asia.
In her very limited spare time, Cathy enjoys gardening in her yard and spending time with her 3 teenaged children. During the summer it's hard to find Cathy indoors, her home office moves outside to her deck and she takes every opportunity to be outside. You can usually find Cathy enjoying local festivals, events, restaurants and patios.
Her love of "shop local" exemplifies her dedication to our community. She once nearly ran out of gas, because she wanted to fill her car in St. Albert and got caught in traffic on her way back from meetings in another city. She has been featured in local media for shopping local, most of her wardrobe was purchased in St. Albert, and she is always challenging her kids to shop local.
Her love of the Red Willow Trail system is renowned, she often jokes that she only needs a car in the winter because her bike is her favored transportation in the summer. She recently purchased a kayak, and is hoping to one day use it to paddle to council. She just has to figure out how to launch in while wearing a suit.
One of the most rewarding experiences for Cathy has been her membership in the St. Albert Rotary Club. As a member of that club she supports local arts and charities, while collaborating with other Rotary Clubs to make a difference globally through the Rotary Foundation. Their biggest goal? To end Polio within our lifetime.
Cathy has taken the Rotary 4-Way Test to heart when making decisions for council.
- Is It The Truth?
- Is It Fair to All Concerned?
- Will it Build Goodwill & Better Friendships?
- Will it be Beneficial to All Concerned?
If you would like to get to know Cathy Heron better, you can add her as a friend on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Cathy.Heron.1 or email her at email@example.com or call/text her at 780-288-6791